How to Install WordPress on Xampp

Wordpress

WordPress install on Xampp

WordPress, the most popular and mostly loved CMS over the virtual world. TechCrunch, Mashable the top most popular tech & internet news blog uses WordPress.

I don`t think I need to introduce or tell much about WordPress. Lets me write those steps which helps you to install this popular CMS on your local machine using XAMPP.

Lets make it very simple. Am sure you can now know how to install WordPress on local host if you don`t skip any point. Getting started.

4 Steps Install WordPress on Local Host XAMPP

Before going to steps you need to have few things which you will need to install WP.

1. XAMPP software (You can download it from here.)

2. WordPress CMS (You can get it from here.)

3. And a machine, PC, laptop etc… (Hope you all have one! :))

Hope you downloaded the 2 softwares.

Step-1

Now install XAMPP, it`s very simple. All you need to do is double click on the downloaded software.

Note: If you`re using skype on your machine then I recommend uninstall it and then start installing XAMPP.

Now that you installed XAMPP, type localhost/xampp you will see a screen.

Step-2

Extract WordPress Zip file and place it in htdocs folder, htdocs folder is in xampp folder, which you installed in STEP-1.

I installed it in Drive E, so this is the place where I moved my extracted WordPress folder.

E:\xampp\htdocs

And give this extracted WP a name, I gave it CBT

Help: Do you think it`s difficult? Contact me I will help you.

Step-3

Open localhost/xampp and click phpmyadmin. Let me show the screen shot.

phpmyadmin setting database

After clicking phpmyadmin, which is under Tools. following screen appears, in which you need to click Databases. (See the screen shot)

phpmyadmin database XAMPP

As you can see I highlighted the empty field under Create new data base, enter data base name (any name, I entered CBTDB), and select database type uttf8mb4_unicode_ci, and then click Create.

Database created!

Step -4

Now you just need to setup your WordPress blog.

Type localhost/CBT in your browser. (I named my project name CBT, replace this with the folder name which you gave for your WordPress extracted folder in Step 2)

A screen displays a message “There doesn’t seem to be a wp-config.php file. I need this before we can get started.” Don`t panic!

Click “Create a Configuration File” button.

The next screen shows you few messages, as you have all those details, click “Let`s go!”

You need to fill the details,

Database Name = (this is Database name which you gave in Step -3 in phpmyadmin.)

user name =-root (this is default for xampp,so enter as it is.)

password = (leave empty)

Database host = localhost (let it same)

Table Prefix = wp_cbt (or you can leave it as it was)

then click button.

When you click, the below message is displayed

All right sparky! You’ve made it through this part of the installation. WordPress can now communicate with your database. If you are ready, time now to

Click “Run install”

In next screen it asks about few details about Site Title, user name, password,Email. Enter your details. And that`s it!

Login into your blog. Typing localhost/CBT/wp-admin (replace CBT with your project name.)

Related posts on WordPress

How to Install Joomla 1.5 in Xampp

Free WordPress Themes 2012 For Bloggers – Free Download

How to Find Which WordPress Theme a Site/Blog Is Using

Create Custom 404 Error Page for WordPress Blog

WordPress Security Tips: 3 Most Important Tips For Your WP Blog

Conclusion

You may think what`s the use of installing WP on local host? You can make all the changes to your blog which you can`t do on server.

Liked it? Share it your friends.

+Khajamoin is founder of Captured Blogging Tips. You can contact him on FB or twitter. Feel free try below links.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+

Author:

Related Posts

10 Responses

1. SapnaDecember 3, 2012 at 3:35 pmReply

Hi Khaja

Explained in very easy way.The screenshots are very clear and emphasize on right places.
    I have never installed WordPress locally, so now I will be bookmarking this post for my future reference.

Thanks
    Sapna
    Sapna recently posted..8 Must Read Tips to Increase ReadershipMy Profile

• Khaja moinDecember 4, 2012 at 6:27 amReply

Hi Sapna,

Am glad, now you know how to install WP! :)

And must day this is just the first post in series of post which will be coming next more on WordPress.

Thinking to write post on basic things on WP to help beginners learn about WP.

So stay tuned!

Thanks for commenting.

~@khajamoin1
      Khaja moin recently posted..Why Offline Marketing is Still Best Choice to Generate LeadsMy Profile

2. AndersonDecember 4, 2012 at 9:41 amReply

Hi Khaja

Thanks for an excellent helpful article. Just one question. Can I administer more than one WordPress blog site from this installation? For me it is so important to be able to work locally first, before going online with a blog for a client.

3. AndrewDecember 4, 2012 at 11:42 amReply

Using WordPress with XAMPP is a great way to test it out and tweak your blog’s design, get used to the platform, ect.

Once you have it ready to the point where you feel it’s good to go, though, renting a host is a better option. It’s cheaper, a lot more secure against hacks, and it saves you lots of technical problems.

Great guide nevertheless! I always test new stuff up on XAMPP before letting it go live on my web host :)
    Andrew recently posted..Staying Motivated 101 – Secrets to Never Lose Your MotivationMy Profile

4. Khaja moinDecember 4, 2012 at 4:12 pmReply

Yes Andrew, we all want to test things before making it live. And installing WP on local host with XAMPP is the easiest way to do that.

Anyway if you have little changes you can do it on server.

Thanks for dropping comment.

~@Khajamoin1
    Khaja moin recently posted..How Pinterest Makes Money?My Profile

5. Sergio FelixDecember 4, 2012 at 6:49 pmReply

Hey Khaja, really cool breakdown for installing wordpress on a local XAMPP server.

I normally use AppServ (WAMP environment) for this which comes with Apache, MySQL and you can of course run PHP scripts on it.

I’ve never tried XAMPP before only because I started with AppServ and now I’m highly comfortable using it.

I believe there is software specific for running wordpress test installations locally right?

Sergio
    Sergio Felix recently posted..The Power Of Writing Your Goals Down On PaperMy Profile

• Khaja moinDecember 6, 2012 at 5:40 amReply

Hi Sergio,

I started using XAMPP for testing my WP blogs, I knew about WAMP but never tried.

So may be we`re more comfortable with things which we started.

Anyway thanks for commenting.

~@Khajamoin1
      Khaja moin recently posted..How Pinterest Makes Money?My Profile

6. Tim BonnerDecember 5, 2012 at 11:01 pmReply

Hi Khaja

I’ve not heard of XAMPP before but it sounds like something I could use.

Testing out things on a live blog isn’t always the best thing to do so I’ll give XAMPP a look. It should be pretty easy now I have your instructions.

I really appreciate the share.
    Tim Bonner recently posted..5 Tools To Improve Your Writing SkillsMy Profile