With every click and type you`re leaving your information to search giant Google. Google tracks your behavior online to know everything about you. But why, this help them to deliver relevant results (most likely ads) for you. Don`t believe me?
Lets test it now!
Search anything on Google, click on any ad, then browse other blogs which has Google ads. You will see same ad which you left behind. This is called re-marketing, it`s good for advertisers not for users. I agree that not all the time we hate this, because this helps us to come across few latest offers from sites which we visited.
But, I think we need a time to learn new things, for how many days will you depend on same thing, after all you came online to search new things not to see what you`ve from your previous searches.
Why am I writing this post?
1 week back I clicked on an ad, without purchasing it I left (because I didn`t like the product and cost), but till yesterday daily every time I visited a blog with Google Adsense this ad (which I clicked) shown to me, it`s annoying.
Related posts : 6 Best Alternatives to Gmail
Then I cleared my cookies. But I can`t do this everyday. Can you?
We all are very busy and don`t get time to see all these small things.
Here I got few tips from online and from my personal experience on how to protect your online privacy from Google.
Here we go.
- Don`t share your personal information with social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and G+.
- Go off the record, while chatting on Gtalk select off the record. Don`t save important information in your mail.
- Turn off your web history
- Surf internet in privacy, using Firefox or Google chrome. See this video from Google.
- Google and third party networks not only use contextual text but your previous history. Using this plugin you can keep your privacy safe from ads.
Almost all blogs(including this blog ) use Google analytics and other tracking software to track user behavior, this helps them to know what a user need and they change their content accordingly. But as humans we need sometime without tracking right?
Here are few plugins/addons which help you to stop sites form tracking you.
- Don`t Track (blocks trackers on site)
- Search anonymously with Google chrome`s incognito mode. Or use Duckduckgo.com (they don`t track you)
Ghostery (blocks third party trackers)
Source : Fixtracking (a guide from Duckduckgo.com)
How I Protect my Privacy?
I use 2 browsers Firefox and Chrome I install these listed tools on Chrome. When I want privacy I use Chrome and I don`t need it I use Firefox. How you protect your privacy online?